Benchmade Mini-Griptilian Combo$-$90200
- AXIS locking mechanism with ambidextrous thumb-stud or thumb-hole opener
- 154CM stainless steel blade (58-61HRC)
- Glass-filled nylon handle material with stainless steel liners and a reversible tip-up pocket clip
- Fairly expensive
Benchmade is a manufacturer of high-quality knives, safety cutters and tools. Its Griptilian line is one of the most popular selections simply because these knives are simple, practical and very easy to use. One of the best models is the Mini-Griptilian Combo which is a knife with a sharp tip and a combination plain and serrated edge. This pocket knife looks and feels like a dangerous tool and lets us sees why with this Benchmade Mini-Griptilian Combo review.
If you are after a super-light weight yet heavy duty folding knife, then you need to strongly consider the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. This everyday carry knife is made in the USA and the quality and craftsmanship of the knife is really visible. You will be pleasantly surprised with this knife, as was I at how god damn useful it is. Not to mention that the knife has an exceptionally good handle and actually looks fairly decent (unlike some other folding knives I have had). So if you are looking for a good quality everyday folder that isn’t going to cost you an arm and a leg then you really need to check out the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian.
Features of the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian Combo
- Blade length of 2.91” and blade thickness of 0.100”
- Handle thickness of 0.510”
- Weighs 2.56oz.
- Blade material made of 154CM stainless steel
- Blade hardness of 58 to 60HRC
- This is a modified drop-point blade with ambidextrous thumb studs
- With a black reversible tip up clip
- With an AXIS locking mechanism
- Overall length of 6.78” and a closed length of 3.87”
- Available in black and olive drab colors
- A compatible sheath material is available
The Benchmade Mini-Griptilian sports a 2.91″ long blade, and overall open length of 6.78″. So It isn’t the longest blade out there but when you have blade that is of this high of a quality, you don’t need it any longer as this knife is great for not only performing everyday minor tasks such as box cutting but is also able to easily complete more complex and tougher tasks such as rope cutting. This is all thanks to the 154 CM stainless steel the knife features which actually really impressed me. I really prefer the D2 steel myself but when I saw the quality of this metal and the way it keeps a sharp edge I was considering changing over!
The blade comes razor sharp out of the box so you don’t really need to sharpen it and as it keeps a razor sharp edge for long periods of time, you will find that you barely even have to sharpen this bad boy. Furthermore, as it features a partially serrated blade, you are able to not only perform slicing tasks but also more heavy duty cutting and sawing tasks, further increasing the knifes effective use.
Like I said before, the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian has a really top notch quality handle and you will find that it fits really nice and well in your hand. The handle is extremely lightweight which allows you to get a really nice solid grip which you are able to easily move around. Furthermore, as this is an assisted opening knife, it features an ambidextrous dual thumb-stud opener so you are easily able to open this knife even if you are left handed or right handed. That is one feature I believe that makes this a really top quality everyday carry knife.
Advantages of using this knife
- The Mini- Griptilian Combo is a very efficient knife with a strong and durable stainless steel blade. The tip is very sharp to easily puncture any material plus the sharp edge is able to stay sharp for a long time, ideal for cutting, slicing, peeling and so many indoor and indoor cutting projects. The serrated edge makes this pocket knife more versatile for outdoor use. The blade has a black coating to reduce the effects of corrosion and grime which could affect the knife’s sharpness, especially when used regularly.
- The handle is simple but very steady. It is well contoured and textured to prevent slipping, sliding and becoming out of control. The handle’s shape will let you grip it with ease and control the knife in any kind of project. The locking mechanism is effective and is very easy to use but despite this, it is difficult to pry open with inexperienced hands. There is no way it will open accidentally so this makes it an ideal knife to take anywhere.
- The blade and handle are easy to clean and will never retain dirt, grime, odor, and stains. With the compatible sheath that is sold separately, you will be able to take it anywhere. It can also fold into a barely noticeable tool. It will open easily when you need to use it and will also quickly fold away as well.
- The Mini-Griptilian Combo is lighter compared to other knives that have the same features. This adds to the ease of use and the ability to control the knife even in any kind of project that you wish to use.
Disadvantages of using this knife
Possibly the only disadvantage of using the Mini-Griptilian Combo is that it is very expensive. A new one sells for more than $140 online which is too much for a combo pocket knife. But looking at the quality of the knife and the efficient design especially the blade and the lock design, the high price may certainly be overlooked.
Overall, the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian is a fantastic knife. This knife is perfect for those looking for a small portable yet super effective and strong every day carry knife. Benchmade are renowned for their quality and that is exactly what you are getting with this knife. You will find yourself wondering how you ever got about without it at your side!
The Benchmade Mini-Griptilian Combo is a practical choice for a pocket knife. It is simple with its barely noticeable profile when it is closed while it could be threatening when it is opened. The handle gives you maximum control no matter what kind of project you have and the weight makes it an ideal tool to use for indoor and outdoor use. It can fold easily and safely with its effective AXIS lock mechanism and it can also open with ease when you need to use it. It may be more expensive than other knife models with the same features but the features and the benefits clearly overlook the expensive price.
If you are interested in the plain edge version of this knife, you can read our review of it here.