Benchmade 551 Griptillian
- AXIS® locking mechanism with ambidextrous thumb-stud opener
- 154CM stainless steel blade (58-61HRC)
- Valox® handle with stainless steel liners and a reversible steel pocket clip
- Blade Length: 3.45
- Pocket Clip: Black, Reversible, Tip-Up Lock Mechanism: AXIS Overall Length: 8.07
Benchmade 551 Griptillian Pardue Design Knife is a full-sized cutting tool that is available at an attractive price. What is unique about this thumb knife is that it has an excellent grip in the hand although sometimes it can get a bit messy to hold his knife especially when wearing gloves. The Griptilian knife comes with a blade that is 3.45” long, thickness is 0.115” and the material used in this knife is stainless steel. It is relatively lighter compared to other knives and its valox handle provides users with a solid grip on the knife. The relatively lighter weight of this knife makes it a perfect companion to carry anywhere in a bag or pocket. The one interesting thing about this knife is that when it is open, the balance shifts just a fraction behind the lock slide axis.The built-quality of this knife is fabulous and it has excellent durability.
Benchmade has been extremely popular in the market for their Griptilian Thumb Knife and they have introduced two variants of this knife. The mini size Griptilian is a perfect cutting tool and it can be used on a daily basis. The small size of this knife helps people to carry it easily and conveniently in pockets as well as in purses. On the other hand, the standard Griptilian knife is for heavy duty tasks and can be used for wide variety of tasks. Both these knives are light and comfortable enough to carry them easily anywhere. These two variants are labeled by many customers or users as EDC knives. Moreover, Benchmade also provides their customers with a wide array of customization which makes them one of the better knife manufacturers in the market.
- BLADE STYLE: 3.45" (8.76cm) Drop-point style blade, weighing only 3.88oz (110.00g).
- AMERICAN MADE STEEL: 154CM (58-61HRC) stainless steel with well-rounded characteristics, including good edge retention, overall toughness, and corrosion resistance.
- DURABLE MATERIALS: Injection molded, GFN (Glass Filled Nylon) handle offers exceptional strength to weight, stainless steel liners, screws, AXIS, and coated reversible tip-up clip.
- INNOVATIVE AXIS MECHANISM: Ambidextrous design, AXIS gets its function from two omega-style springs, one on each liner, give the locking bar its inertia to engage the knife tang.
- AMERICAN MANUFACTURING: The Oregon-based Benchmade factory employs modern laser cutters and CNC machining centers that offer control and tolerances found in the aerospace industry. Precision is that of half the width of a human hair.
Excellent design & great features
Benchmade 551 Griptillian Pardue Design Knife has a premium feel to it and its blade is made of stainless steel that comes with a hardness rating of 58-61HRC. This is a knife having a blade that is sharp on both sides and even after rough handling and some minor abuse, it still performs exceedingly well. The blade on this knife has been backed by lifetime service on sharpening by Benchmade. The knife comes with a uniquely designed sturdy handle for better grip by the user that is made of glass-enforced polymer and prevents accidental slippage. The ergonomically built quality of the knife is one of its popular highlights that make it stand ahead of the rest. It is compact and designed ergonomically; people with different hand sizes won’t face any problem handling this knife.
Locking mechanism and easy operation
Benchmade is known for introducing an excellent mechanism in their knives and Griptilian is no exception. The patented locking axis mechanism is one of the unique features of this knife. Its ambidextrous pattern of design has been appreciated by users, both right handed and left handed. The locking mechanism is extremely smooth and the user would be delighted to find out how easily the knife opens with a simple flick gesture to flip open the knife. The hinge mechanism of the knife is a delight to work with as the blade can be easily folded even with one hand. The knife comes with a standard pocket clip and it can be used on both sides of the knife. Apart from the clip, the knife also features a lanyard hole which is another convenient way of carrying it.
Benchmade 551 Griptillian Pardue Design Knife does not feature a sheath in the package, which is disappointing. Moreover, the price of the knife is on the higher side, which could be a problem for some customers who are willing to buy this amazing knife. However, Benchmade provides sells sheath separately and people can buy them from stores. Cleaning instruction manual comes with the package which guides users to keep the knife in perfect condition. In case, you are looking to know more about the product, leave a comment below!